introverted horse

I'm wary of horses. They are, after all, large animals, and capable of inflicting serious injury. Plus, it has been my unfortunate experience that every animal with which I ever became more than casually acquainted, would, at some point, try to kill and eat me.

Nonetheless, I was undeterred when I had an opportunity to draw some horses on my way back from a drawing expedition. I'd noticed three piebald ponies tethered in a field en route to my drawing spot. Only one was there when I returned, and he didn't take kindly to being stared at.

Some horses love it when you take an interest. They wander over and try to eat your drawing book. They hang around looking hopeful, in case you have carrots or Polo mints.

This horse was having none of it. He grazed a little, then moved into another pose before I could get busy with the first one. Then he moved again. And again. Until finally he'd strayed to the full extent of his tether and was hiding in the cover of a tree over the stream. Peering out now and then to see if I'd gone.



I can take a hint.

I passed by the next day on the other side of the field, and found him once again sheltering in the trees. This time he seemed happy to stand and pose for the few minutes I spent on a drawing.

And the moral of this slight tale is: if you chance upon a socially anxious horse who refuses to be drawn, give him some breathing space and come back the next day from a different angle. Also, be aware that his new attitude may well be a trap, and keep checking to make sure his equine accomplices aren't attempting to sneak up behind you with meat cleavers grasped awkwardly in their raised hooves.